The organisation of Government through Executive Order No. 1 of 2023 sets out the following mandate for Public Works which are also contained in the following legislations:-
- Public Works Policy and Planning.
- National Building Inspection Services.
- Setting and Management of Building and Construction Standards and Codes.
- Supplies Branch.
- Co-ordination of Procurement of Common User Items by Government Ministries.
- Registration and Regulation of Contractors , Consultants for Buildings, Civil Works and Material Suppliers.
- Registration of Architects and Quantity Surveyors.
- Provision of Mechanical and Electrical Building Services.
- Building Research Services.
- Registration and Regulation of Civil, Building and Electro-mechanical Contractors.
- Development and Management of Public Buildings.
- Other Public Works.
In undertaking its responsibilities, the State Department is guided by the following legal instruments:
- The Constitution of Kenya, 2010
- Vision 2030
- Africa Union Agenda 2063
- Local Government Act – Cap 265.
- Public Health Act – Cap 242.
- Board of Registration of Architects & Quantity Surveyors – Cap 525.
- Engineers Board of Kenya – Cap 530.
- Public Procurement and Disposal Act 2005
- National Construction Authority Act. No. 41 Of 2011
- Environmental Management and Co-ordination Act No. 8 of 1999